Director, Technology Infrastructure is responsible for the
college's technology infrastructure, including network architecture and
telecom. As a
of Whitman College Technology Services (WCTS), this position collaborates
with other IT members to provide an information technology environment
consistent with the goals of Whitman College and meets the needs of
faculty, staff, and students.
- Administers the operations, activities, and services of the campus
computing network and telecommunication services.
- As the campus network manager,
- Maintains, monitors and coordinates the
connectivity to off-campus
networks, including the Internet.
- Maintain and monitor various network applications and services,
including Storage Area Network and campus email service.
- Plans, develops, maintains, monitors and coordinates the security of
the campus computer network.
- Installs and implements both system and application software on
the campus servers.
- Serves as a member of the IT Management Team whose responsibilities
include, but are not limited to the following:
- Determining the applicability of new technological developments and
recommending appropriate usage.
- Preparing and implementing planning document for IT.
- Recommending, approving and/or executing purchase of technology
- Providing opportunities for training and professional development for
- Formulating IT policies and procedures.
- Provides assistance to departments and offices of the college with
- Maintains professional contacts with other colleges, associations,
organizations and vendors concerning technology services and equipment.
- Perform other essential duties and implementation of projects
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must posses these knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able
to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential
functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some
other combination of skills and abilities and to possess the necessary
physical requirements with or without the aid of mechanical devices, to
safely perform the essential functions of the job.
- Requisite skills required for network administration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of UNIX, Linux, Windows networking and system
task automation using common scripting languages.
- Vision for and dedication to the role of technologies within a small
- Demonstrated commitment to participatory management and a strong
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to establish
and maintain cooperative and harmonious working relationships with a
variety of campus constituencies.
- A proven ability to make technical issues understandable and an
ability to match technical opportunities to college goals.
- Preferred skills include experience in supervisory role, experience in
higher education networked computing environment, experience in user
services in higher education and experience beyond the minimum
- Must possess the education, training and/or experience necessary to
demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the
essential functions of the job.
- A bachelor's degree or master degree in
computer science, information technology or related field.
- A minimum of two years experience in managing a network, with
connection to the Internet.
- A minimum of two years experience in advanced programming and system
analysis, with a requisite level of technical expertise.
- Satisfactory clearance of background check required.