This position supports the use of multimedia
technology on campus, particularly in the evenings and on weekends. The
position is also responsible for sound systems in various auditoriums.
position collaborates with other IT members to provide an information
environment that is consistent with the goals of Whitman College and meets
the needs of faculty, staff, and students.
PRINCIPAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES
% of Time
(low 1- high 5)
- Support the use of multimedia equipment on campus in the evenings
and weekends. This includes assisting and training faculty, staff and
students with the use of equipment and facilities.
- Responsible for support and maintenance of the sound system in Maxey
Auditorium, Olin 130,
Kimball Theatre, Young Ballroom, and Reid G02.
- Assist the Manager of Instructional Multimedia Services with:
- Installing and maintaining multimedia equipment on campus.
Equipment includes, but is not limited to data projectors, networked
computers, speakers, video equipment and other audio-visual equipment, and security devices.
- Planning, scheduling, and routing multimedia equipment delivery and
- Keeping records of repair, replacement, and maintenance of
- Coordinating with Physical Plant for classroom renovation and major
- Training and supervising student workers, checking work, and assigning
duties to meet needs of varying workload.
- Serve as primary back-up for the Manager, Instructional Multimedia
- Perform service calls as assigned.
- Perform other essential duties and implementation of projects as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Individuals must possess these
knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the
individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without
reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and
abilities and to possess the necessary physical requirements with or without
the aid of mechanical devices, to safely perform the essential functions of
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in as many of the following as
- repairing and performing installation and maintenance of
microcomputer and multimedia equipment
- operating sound, light, and electronics as they apply to multimedia
- trouble-shooting techniques
- using a variety of power and hand tools, cleaners, and test
equipment related to the maintenance and repair of computer and multimedia
- Demonstrate ability and skills to:
- operate and configure microcomputer equipment and other
- review, understand, and apply concepts presented in equipment operation manuals and training programs
- effectively communicate orally with others
- work under pressure and maintain efficiency and composure
- use tact and judgment in dealing with the public
- effectively use time and available resources
- work with and cooperate with all staff
- maintain records and inventories in a technical office
- perform manual labor, including heavy lifting (50 lbs) regularly
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Any combination of experience that provides the required knowledge,
skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position
- Two-year college degree plus
two years experience in relevant field, four years experience in
relevant field, or a bachelor's degree is preferred
- Satisfactory clearance of background check required.